Well, it has now been many weeks since I updated this blog.....about eight I think. What fun we have been having at the Edwards on the Blvd. The house is still not finished ALTHOUGH it is ALMOST finished.....I guess a 30 plus year old house is probably never really finished when the remodeling starts, is it?
Hurricane Ike and then a credit crisis have kept me busy at work that is for sure.....can’t even begin to explain how hard all of this has been on our company. Can’t even.....begin.....
School is back in full force and Michael has finished the first six weeks and we have EXCITING NEWS! He has not gotten ONE referral to the office. Isn’t that just so exciting? Trust me, after the year we had last year, it is.
He is doing hours and hours of homework and is playing football with passion. He scored two touchdowns in the first game and plays “both ways”.....poor kid is EXHAUSTED after the games but he also loves it. I am glad that I finally understand the game enough to enjoy watching it. It is also fun to watch Michael “find” himself......he has learned that cutting up in class is actually not that much fun because then he has to come home to US and that is not fun at all. Rob barks and bites and I scream (effective parenting skills, I know) and he would just rather not be grounded all of the time.....or maybe he just grew up over the summer.....who knows.
Stephen got his Senior ring at A&M and that is a VERY big deal. He is enjoying school and really enjoying not being here after our remodel summer.....poor Stevie thought that he was coming home for a nice summer and he got caught in the remodel nightmare with us.
Okay.....the house. First, we ran out of money and we did what all good people should do, we stopped. Halted in mid stream.....We will wait until the spring for new living room furniture (and Buddy is thrilled about that.....) and there will be no new master bath for a year at least!
The primary drama has been our backsplash ordeal. It has been HILARIOUS! We finally got our money back from the first company and then I picked out a backsplash which was promptly voted down by our backsplash picking committee. So I tried again. No go......finally the committee was happy and we proceeded. I just wanted it to be OVER!!!! So I settled on whatever the committee (mom, Rob, Kim, Lenny and Michael) wanted.....just to get this nightmare behind us....and get our kitchen back......at least until Rob picked up the travertine and brought it home and it was..... P-I-N-K .....not really pink....just a hint of “rose” and I was terrified that my beautiful venetian gold granite was going to be overshadowed by a touch of “rose”.....yuck. Drama..... and to think that I had old off white formica for 15 years!
The barcalounger sofa has made its way to the Blvd though.....(see photo).....and it is HUGE! On the good side of things, you can no longer see the drum set from the front door.....on the “not so good side of things” it is super PUFFY! If you will recall, PUFFY was a no no but it seems that my darling husband just decided to ignore me on the puffy parameter. He knew that I would not make him send it back if we had already paid for it and could not get our money back so he bought it.
Buddy has become the 4th person in the house ....even if he is a dog. A couple of weeks ago, though, Rob had fed him a BUNCH of rib bones and that was a catastrophe. I, of course, was pushing and pushing asking Rob ten million questions about the thought process behind feeding Buddy fatty bones and he, of course, totally blew me off. The next night was an out of town football game. It looked like it might thunder (and Buddy is terrified of thunder) so at the last minute Rob decided to leave him in the house. Poor Buddy. He is such a good dog and he was trapped in this house and had to “you know what” and we were not here. Rob will never again feed Buddy bones after his little clean up duty that night. Every time we hear Buddy’s stomach even growl someone jumps up and says “outside, Buddy?” If he could talk he would say “nope, but breakfast would be nice” I am sure. What a way to break in our new carpet. Glad I picked out brown.
Next week we will have the Murphy bed installed the guest room. It is soooo exciting. After that we will be able to unpack EVERYTHING. The upstairs room sort of looks like a storage room now with boxed and furniture and such. I have NO IDEA where we had all of that stuff before.....and to think that guy came here and took a whole trailer load of furniture a month or so ago.
I have now officially joined the DIY crowd....as I have now officially become a total remodel queen now that I have personally refinished the fireplace room walls. After tons and tons of sanding and stripping and then putting gallons of poly on the walls it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself!
Enough.....for now.
Hurricane Ike and then a credit crisis have kept me busy at work that is for sure.....can’t even begin to explain how hard all of this has been on our company. Can’t even.....begin.....
School is back in full force and Michael has finished the first six weeks and we have EXCITING NEWS! He has not gotten ONE referral to the office. Isn’t that just so exciting? Trust me, after the year we had last year, it is.
He is doing hours and hours of homework and is playing football with passion. He scored two touchdowns in the first game and plays “both ways”.....poor kid is EXHAUSTED after the games but he also loves it. I am glad that I finally understand the game enough to enjoy watching it. It is also fun to watch Michael “find” himself......he has learned that cutting up in class is actually not that much fun because then he has to come home to US and that is not fun at all. Rob barks and bites and I scream (effective parenting skills, I know) and he would just rather not be grounded all of the time.....or maybe he just grew up over the summer.....who knows.
Stephen got his Senior ring at A&M and that is a VERY big deal. He is enjoying school and really enjoying not being here after our remodel summer.....poor Stevie thought that he was coming home for a nice summer and he got caught in the remodel nightmare with us.
Okay.....the house. First, we ran out of money and we did what all good people should do, we stopped. Halted in mid stream.....We will wait until the spring for new living room furniture (and Buddy is thrilled about that.....) and there will be no new master bath for a year at least!
The primary drama has been our backsplash ordeal. It has been HILARIOUS! We finally got our money back from the first company and then I picked out a backsplash which was promptly voted down by our backsplash picking committee. So I tried again. No go......finally the committee was happy and we proceeded. I just wanted it to be OVER!!!! So I settled on whatever the committee (mom, Rob, Kim, Lenny and Michael) wanted.....just to get this nightmare behind us....and get our kitchen back......at least until Rob picked up the travertine and brought it home and it was..... P-I-N-K .....not really pink....just a hint of “rose” and I was terrified that my beautiful venetian gold granite was going to be overshadowed by a touch of “rose”.....yuck. Drama..... and to think that I had old off white formica for 15 years!
The barcalounger sofa has made its way to the Blvd though.....(see photo).....and it is HUGE! On the good side of things, you can no longer see the drum set from the front door.....on the “not so good side of things” it is super PUFFY! If you will recall, PUFFY was a no no but it seems that my darling husband just decided to ignore me on the puffy parameter. He knew that I would not make him send it back if we had already paid for it and could not get our money back so he bought it.
Buddy has become the 4th person in the house ....even if he is a dog. A couple of weeks ago, though, Rob had fed him a BUNCH of rib bones and that was a catastrophe. I, of course, was pushing and pushing asking Rob ten million questions about the thought process behind feeding Buddy fatty bones and he, of course, totally blew me off. The next night was an out of town football game. It looked like it might thunder (and Buddy is terrified of thunder) so at the last minute Rob decided to leave him in the house. Poor Buddy. He is such a good dog and he was trapped in this house and had to “you know what” and we were not here. Rob will never again feed Buddy bones after his little clean up duty that night. Every time we hear Buddy’s stomach even growl someone jumps up and says “outside, Buddy?” If he could talk he would say “nope, but breakfast would be nice” I am sure. What a way to break in our new carpet. Glad I picked out brown.
Next week we will have the Murphy bed installed the guest room. It is soooo exciting. After that we will be able to unpack EVERYTHING. The upstairs room sort of looks like a storage room now with boxed and furniture and such. I have NO IDEA where we had all of that stuff before.....and to think that guy came here and took a whole trailer load of furniture a month or so ago.
I have now officially joined the DIY crowd....as I have now officially become a total remodel queen now that I have personally refinished the fireplace room walls. After tons and tons of sanding and stripping and then putting gallons of poly on the walls it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself!
Enough.....for now.

No comments:
Post a Comment