Monday, August 11, 2008

The Edwards on the Blvd Remodel saga continues






I started this a week ago and only got two paragraphs done before life took over.....so I will give a recap of the week here.
Photos are 1. Mark and Hannah 2. Emily, Dad and Matt 3. Stephen and Michael 4. Me and my cake %. Michael and the camp owner from fishing camp

It is Monday evening (August 11th) and the Edwards on the Blvd are home and almost ready for sleep (at least this Edwards is) so I am sure that this will not be too funny tonight,

Rob and I packed up Michaels stuff for Saltwater Fishing camp a week ago....Rob and Stephen made the four hour trip to the Texas coast to drop Michael off for a week of heaven. Michael is a well rounded kid .....the long shaggy hair of a musician, toned muscles of an athlete and keen eye of a fisherman. Notice that I did not say “sharpened pencil for his classes”.....enough on that later.....the start of school sort of looms out there on the horizon.

We picked him up from “camp” on Saturday. When we walked in, the main guy said...”are you here for this guy?” and pointed at Michael....and I had this momentary thought that I wondered if I should deny it .....but then he says “I have never known a kid who knew as much about fishing and tying flies and everything that has anything to do with fishing. He was just great to have here and we want him to come back for camp next year and then I want to hire him to be a counselor. I was about to burst with pride.....they want my Michael to be a counselor!!! How cool is that. Now, I will say that my goals in life has not been for Michael to be a fishing camp counselor but it was nice to have the reaffirmation that all of those times Michael got in trouble for reading fishing magazines was not a waste of time!


So on Saturday the 2nd we got up early and went to Home Depot. We were there very late on Friday night (just prior to my nodding of at Texadelphia where we were enjoying yet another healthy meal at 9PM)....to pick up lights or something. The electrician was here working and the painters were supposed to have been here at like 8AM but of course they rolled in around 11. It is just hilarious. No matter what time they “say” they will be here they get here about 7 hours after they ran out of money the night before J.

So we had a family celebration of my 50th birthday on that Saturday the 2nd at Matt and Emily’s. Originally it was just going to be the boys and us but then the family decided that it would be great for everyone to get together and surprise me. Unfortunately I just assumed that everyone would be there so it was not that big of a surprise......so anyway, we got there at 1PM and the calls were already coming in that everyone was late......if they were driving on IH 35. It seems that an 18 wheeler crashed on IH35 near Onion Creek and the traffic was backed up for miles and miles and miles. They could not get on or off. I got on the phone with both and said TURN AROUND and go home but of course they could not do that as they were trapped. It lasted for hours. I don’t even want to think about what all of those people who had to go to the bathroom did while trapped. It seems that a truck carrying cereal crashed and melted. The cereal was everywhere they said. No one was hurt so that was good.

By the time they got to Matt and Emily’s, the sun was baking the house.....at least that is what we thought. After an hour, we were all sweating like crazy. Emily kept saying that it was because there were too many people in the house.....but the temperature was going up 5 degrees an hour. IT WAS HOT. I was speedy quick with opening my presents (a lovely necklace from my family and a spectacular watercolor portrait from Rob and the kids) and then we hightailed it out of there and came home to our messy but cool house.

Last week while Michael was at fishing camp I would text him :

U ok? And he would reply “fine”....that is until he replied “fine but I am about to punch this guy cuz he is pissing me off” to which I replied DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT BUDDY. WE PAID $1000 FOR YOU TO BE AT THE CAMP AND WE DON”T WANT YOU HOME NOW”. To which he said “fine”. Okay, glad we got that straight. Another night he sent a message “Dad, you forgot to pack boxers.” And Rob became very worried that he had forgotten. Can yo imagine being with a 13 year old who was fishing all of the time and he had no clean boxers? Oh my was that not a pretty thought at all.....Of course that was not true, Michael just did not look in the pocket of his bag”.

Another message “fine. We got annilated (sp) by mosquitos tonight” to which I replied USE BUG SPRAY because those mosquitos can make you really sick and he replied “fine” The universal word, it seems.

My 50th birthday was last week and it was a very eventful day. I got a precious, precious book from Vanessa and the office staff. I will treasure it always. Vanessa also made me some jewelry when she was in San Miguel. Vicki, Rob, Lil, Mary and Debby brought me flowers....roses from all. Ann brought my favorite wine....it was such a special day.....and I did not feel older at all!

Okay so lets talk about the house remodel. Hilarious that we thought it would be done by the end of July. We did get our light fixtures finally. We ordered the carpet. The painting is virtually done. The granite is in....soooo we were just waiting on the backsplash that the kitchen was built around. So I called them at least ten times and they never called me back. The latest it was supposed to be here was today and guess what.....they finally talked to me and they.....did not order it. Blah...blah...blah....excuses....excuses....so I said, when I called two weeks ago you should have ordered it then. Blah...blah...blah...architerra is the name of the company. Don’t go there. They are terrible. Now I will get my money back and hit the streets looking for the second most perfect backsplash....or wait another three months for the original one.

Stephen is home for another couple of days. He is ready to beat a path back to College Station. He has been sleeping upstairs in the hot attic room. He wants to be back out on his own and we understand that. He had some moles removed from his arm a couple of weeks ago. One came back as Dysplastic nevus, which means an unusual mole but no evidence of skin cancer. This diagnosis means you should watch all of your moles carefully for change, and schedule a follow up for this lesion in three months.

Michael is at Beach Week (church camp) this week in Gulf Shores Alabama....beats the hell out of the church camp that I went to in Palestine Texas where the highlight of the day was counting our chigger bites!

Hard to believe that Michael will be 14 next week. Am praying that his brain will have a little reasoning ability now....

Later.

No comments: